Sunday, January 6, 2008

Books and Such Things


Our Latest Book: good for Coaches, Mentors and Counselors
Solomon wrote that, "Of the making of books there is no end" and that is just one of many reasons he was considered to be a very wise man. I have produced several books, usually in conjunction with other colleagues and friends.

In every case my books have arisen out of the research I did on my Doctorate at the University of Cincinnati way back in 1974 and 75. During my course work in Counselor Education I saw research that growth and healing are mostly the result of the relationship between a Helper-Counselor and a Seeker-Client than the knowledge and theories of the Helper-Counselor.


This research was shocking because most of our classes emphasized the theories and styles of the Counselor who was supposed to be an expert on diagnosing and treating Clients. Students were paying thousands of dollars to learn things that really did not work.


My dissertation looked at how the Bible and outcome research on counselors and not their theories, could be correlated. There is a very high correlation between the fruit of the Holy Spirit found in Galatians 5:22ff and healing. The Bible was written two thousand years before counseling texts but already indicated what really works in care and counsel.


So, what did I do? I began to write books that trained people how to relate in the skills most closely related to the fruit of the Spirit. We called the first book, Apples of Gold and the rest is history. Some 300,000 people have taken the Apples' Courses and read the books in over 50 countries from Norway to Russia to Cuba to South Africa to Taiwan to Australia to New Zealand.


These three remain; faith, hope and love, but the greatest is love.


See http://www.amazon.com/ and type in my name, Gary Sweeten to order my books.

No comments: